Every type of cancer has a specialist Multi-Disciplinary Team (usually called a MDT) to provide the highest quality, individualised care to each patient. Each MDT usually meets weekly to make recommendations for further tests and the best treatment option for each patient.
Every MDT has a range of specialists who attend each meeting and can include:
- Clinical Nurse Specialists
- MDT administrative team
- Nutrition & Dietetic team
- Oncologists (specialists in chemotherapy and radiotherapy)
- Palliative Care team
- Physicians (doctors who are specialists in particular specialities)
- Research team
- Speech & Language Therapists
Once a case has been discussed at the MDT meeting the patient may be seen in clinic or rung by one of the team to discuss the outcome from the meeting. This might include being told another test is needed or to discuss the treatment options.
We always encourage patients to ask any questions during any discussions with the team. Written information is provided to help make decisions about the tests required and treatment plan.