What we do
The Leeds Fetal Medicine Unit
Most pregnancies result in the birth of a healthy baby but for some women developments may occur that need more specialist help.
The fetal medicine unit is staffed by highly qualified obstetricians and midwives, who provide specialist care for pregnant women from all over England whose baby:
- is found to have an abnormality, as seen with an ultrasound scan
- is at greater than usual chance of having an abnormality – on the basis of either a positive screening test (eg nuchal translucency or a blood test), or following the previous birth of a baby with a chromosomal or genetic problem
- is thought to be much smaller than usual
- needs specialist treatment during the pregnancy, such as a blood transfusion in the womb
- is likely to need specialist treatment very soon after birth
Our RCOG subspecialty trained fetal medicine clinicians carry out invasive procedures (CVS, amniocentesis, fetal blood transfusions, fetocide), fetal anomaly scanning, fetal growth scanning, counselling and support.