The Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust


Medical posters


The ‘new’ LGI building was designed by renowned architect, Sir George Gilbert Scott, who also designed St Pancras Station in London. It originally opened for its first six months as an art gallery to raise funds towards the cost of the building. 

Below are extracts from the annual meeting of the British Medical Association (BMA) held at Leeds General Infirmary in 1869, the year the new hospital opened to patients.

Case of Poisoning by Extract of Belladonna

Case Report: Recovery With a Bullet Lodged Within the Skull

On a Fatal Case of General Emphysema Produced by Violent Screaming

The Construction of Hospitals

Case Report: Detachment of the Lower Epiphysis of the Femur

British Medical Association 37th Annual Meeting, Leeds 1869

Certain Forms of Paralysis Depending on Idea

A Demonstration of Rectangular Stumps

Mr. Nunneley and the Operation for the Removal of the Entire Tongue

Femoral Aneurism: Ligature Of External Iliac Artery: Recovery