Welcome to St James's University Hospital
“Jimmy's”, as it is affectionately known, is internationally famous as Europe’s largest teaching hospital.
It is home to services including acute and elderly medicine, A&E, a number of surgical specialties, as well as being a world-renowned centre for highly specialised organ transplantation.
The St James's Institute of Oncology, housed in the purpose built state-of-the-art Bexley Wing provides a world-class service to cancer patients from across the region and beyond.
What we do
St James's University Hospital is a major centre for high-tech patient care, teaching and research, and its network of buildings are a landmark visible for miles across the city.
The flagship of the site is the £220 million Bexley Wing, home to the St James's Institue of Oncology, which contains 10 floors dedicated to some of the best treatment for cancer patients available anywhere in the world.
Deep beneath the building is an array of chambers containing linear accelerators - powerful radiotherapy treatment machines, whilst the wing's airy atrium showcases the modern face of the NHS in Leeds, providing an outstanding quality of environment which extends throughout its wards and departments. The top floor of the Bexley Wing is home to a special "hotel" which helps meet the needs of cancer patients and their families who live further afield and cannot easy travel to and from home.
St James's has a busy A&E department and is the Leeds centre for the care of acute medical patients and older people. To support this there has been considerable investment in new wards in the Gledhow and Chancellor's Wings over the last three years.
The hospital is well known for its highly successful kidney, liver and bone marrow transplantation services, and is also home to a popular maternity unit.
Facilities on site
- Retreat Cafe - located in Gledhow Wing offering hot meals, sandwiches and a variety of drinks
- Costa Coffee - located in Gledhow Wing and Bexley Wing, offering hot and cold drinks and snacks
- Deli-Marche - located in Bexley Wing offering tasty food and drink options
- Henry Smith's Bakery - located in Gledhow Wing offering baked treats, snacks and drinks
- Mondo Subs - located in Gledhow Wing offering specially prepared sandwiches made to order
- Union House - located near the entrance to Chancellor, Lincoln and Geldhow Wings, offering food and coffee