Preventing hospital infections
What can you do to prevent hospital infections?
Top 10 tips
- Use the alcohol hand rub at the entrance to wards or departments when you arrive and when you leave
- Wash your hands frequently and carefully especially after using the toilet, before you eat and whenever they look or feel dirty
- Remind your family and friends to wash their hands too
- Please let a nurse know if you have been in contact with someone who has had diarrhoea or vomiting within the last 2 days
- Do not sit or lie on other patients' beds
- Do not share others toiletries or towels
- Do not touch wounds, dressings or drips and drains
- Please try not to bring too many personal items in with you as they can make your bed area difficult to clean
- If you think another patient needs assistance please call a nurse
- Please do not bring in foods that require reheating. We are unable to reheat food due to food hygiene regulations.
healthcare associated infections
Please watch the short videos below which show the risks of healthcare associated infections, and highlight how important it is to take care when visiting the hospital environment.