Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust
What we do
We help to ensure optimal diagnosis and management of children and young people with febrile neutropaenia presenting to POSCUs, including intravenous and oral antibiotics, and to enable timely and appropriate communication and referral of these patients between the POSCU and the PTC as required and as necessary.
We provide haematological support, ie. The administration of blood and/or platelet transfusions as required and if appropriate- this service is available on both sites.
We also provide nasogastric/ gastrostomy feeding support, (NG tubes can be re-passed on the Children’s units at Huddersfield and Calderdale), administration of sub cutaneous medication eg. GCSF, central line flushes, blood sampling and equipment provision meaning that patients will need to access the PTC less frequently.
We offer ‘off treatment’ follow up with the lead clinician at the POSCU in conjunction with the PTC where this may be appropriate.
All oncology patients will have a designated Paediatric Oncology Community Nurse as a keyworker ensuring continuation of care.
Meet the team
- Gill Sharpe- Lead Clinician
- Liz Higgs- Deputy Lead Clinician
- Sarah Riordan- Paediatric Community Oncology Nurse (Huddersfield)
- Joanne Reed- Paediatric Community Oncology Nurse (Halifax)
- Sally Whelan- MDT Co-Ordinator/ Administrator
- David Thompson/ Sally Morrison- Macmillan Nurses (Leeds General Infirmary)
- Dr Gill Sharpe- Oncology Lead Consultant- 01422 224146
- Children’s Community Nursing Team- Huddersfield 01484 342872
- Children’s Community Nursing Team- Halifax 01422 224164
- Children’s Ward- Huddersfield 01484 342482
- Children’s Ward- Halifax 01422 223277
- Patient Advice and Liaison Centre 0800 013 0018
- Macmillan Services- Jayne Garforth Centre- Halifax 01422 222709