Teaching and training
During the COVID-19 response we are not providing any placements or work experience for external candidates.
Normally we provide teaching and training to:
- Undergraduate Optometry students
- Undergraduate Orthoptic students
- Undergraduate Nursing students
- Undergraduate medical students
- Pre-registration optometrists
- Qualified optometrists
There is more information about student work experience within the Optometry department on the student placements web page
The Consultant Optometrist (Head of Optometry), Tim Hunter, Principal Optometrist, Alison Weston as well as other members of the Optometry team are registered pre-registration supervisors and/or examiners with the College of Optometrists and we employ a pre-registration optometrist.
There is more information about the Pre-registration Optometrist year at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust on the Pre-registration optometrist web page
there is more information about Pre-registration Optometrist placements for community optometrists at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust on the pre-registration placements web page
We are responsible for the professional training and continuing professional development of our optometry staff.
- Provide supervision and training for junior and pre-registration optometrists .
- Liaise with University Optometry Departments in the teaching of undergraduate optometry students.
- Provide Peer review meetings for our optometric staff.
- Are a registered CET provider with the General Optical Council
- Have organised refresher courses and specialist courses for community optometrists and ophthalmologists.