The HPB Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) Team
The HPB clinical nurse specialist team support patients and their families affected by pancreatic, liver and biliary cancer. They work within the multi-disciplinary team consisting of surgeons, oncologists, radiologists and gastroenterologists.
All the members of the HPB cancer nurse specialist team have expertise and experience in assisting patients and their carers with concerns. Every patient is allocated a keyworker who they will deal with but when unavailable other members of the team can help.
Click here for information about what this service entails.
* The CNS liaising with patients whilst at home or in hospital.
* Each patient is given a named CNS or keyworker however you will be supported by the nursing team as a whole throughout your cancer journey.
* Provide information about the disease, investigations, treatment and follow up which is specific to individual needs and wishes.
* See patients in outpatient clinic when receiving a cancer diagnosis, commencing treatment, ending of treatment or at a change in their pathway.
* We do face to face holistic needs assessment at key points.
* Visit patients on the ward who are newly diagnosed with a cancer or post-surgical patients
* Refer to community nursing services including district nurses and palliative care services when we feel this would be beneficial for patients and their families.
* We also refer to specialist services like social services, welfare rights, counselling or complementary therapies.
* We work closely with charities including Pancreatic Cancer UK and help run a support group regularly such as PANPALS and Liver Cancer Support Group.
* We attend weekly specialist Liver and Pancreas MDT meetings where patient care is planned.
* We offer advice on available treatments ie chemotherapy/radiotherapy and in order to help patients to make informed surgery decisions.
* We can act as patients advocates to support their decisions.
For support or advice the team are available between Monday-Friday (not bank holidays), 8am-4 pm. You can contact us on 0113 2068601 or via email leedsth-tr.HPBnursesleeds@nhs.net. If we are not available please leave a message on our answering machine and we will get back to you as soon as we can.