John Goligher Colorectal Surgery Unit
Welcome to Leeds Colorectal Surgery
We are one of the largest centres for Colorectal surgery in Europe. The John Goligher colorectal unit is a major tertiary referral centre for diseases of the small and large bowel, the rectum and anus. If you have been referred to this service, we hope that you will find the information contained in this website useful.
What we do
Being a high volume centre, we receive about 10,000 referrals per year and surgery is being performed in about a third of the patients.
The conditions managed routinely in our service include:
- Colorectal cancer
- Inflammatory Bowel disease
- Conditions of the anus such as piles , haemorrhoids
- Problems with continence
As well as providing acute services (general surgical take), we have developed expertise in and become a centre of excellence for:
- Treating advanced and recurrent colorectal cancer
- Minimally invasive and robotic surgery
- Complex pelvic floor surgery
- Academic research - linked to regional (Yorkshire Cancer Research Network) and national (NIHR HTC- Colorectal Therapy) bodies
Please find our department contact numbers on the contact us page.