The Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust

Information for patients

How do I arrange to see a urologist?

We can only accept referrals from your GP or from a hospital consultant. If you do have an urological problem, therefore, you should visit your GP first; he/she can then decide whether referral is necessary or appropriate. We regret that self-instigated referrals, unsolicited referrals by e-mail and requests for opinions (by post or e-mail) will not be answered by the Department.

How do I make contact?

If you have concerns about appointments, investigations, admissions or results, contact us through the numbers provided on the 'Contact us' tab at the left hand side. If you prefer, you can talk with one of the Specialist Nurses or, alternatively, write to your Consultant or arrange to discuss your condition with your GP. 

What happens after that?

Once you have been referred by your GP, you will be able to schedule an outpatient appointment. We may arrange for you to undergo some tests in advance of your appointment to speed up the diagnostic process. For certain conditions, some clinics are run by fully-trained nurse practitioners; you will not, therefore, always see a urologist on your first appointment.

What if I am concerned? 

If you are concerned that your appointment is too far in the future, you should contact your GP in the first instance. He/she may agree to expedite your appointment but we discourage patients from doing this themselves. Your GP is, of course, the best person to advise you on the urgency of your condition.