Old Nurses' Home
Old Nurses’ Home
The Old Nurses home is one of the first buildings to be demolished as part of our Hospitals of the Future programme.
Prior to the creation of the first home in 1879, nurses at Leeds General Infirmary usually lived in a room above each of the wards which was not really suitable for them, particularly as increasing numbers of nurses needed accommodation.
The first nurses home was expanded in 1895 and again in 1898 to accommodate more nurses. The current building, due to be demolished soon, was opened by the Princess Royal in October 1937 and was able to take up to 250 nurses. It is made up of a number of buildings that sweep alongside old A&E Drive opposite the current Martin Wing. It retains many of the original corridors, staircases and rooms.
Prior to demolition we have been capturing some of the stories from those former nurses who stayed in the nurses’ home with some of them visiting the old building which brought back happy memories of their nurse-training in Leeds.