The Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust


Being the parent of a child who is ill, has a long term health condition or needs surgery is a stressful and worrying time and you are often given a lot of information before, during and after your child's treatment.  We hope that our website provides you with information at the right time and in the right place to reduce some of that stress.

All the services within Leeds Children's Hospital have their own web pages which provide details of the conditions and illnesses treated, the staff on the ward and contact names and numbers. If you can't find what you need, let a member of staff know as this will help us to make sure that we develop our pages to meet the needs of patients and their families and friends.

Transition to Adult Services

For parents of children who have a long term condition or who are likely to transfer into Adult services before their treatment has finished, information about the transition process is available individual services and if this is a concern, you can ask your current team at any time. Parents and carers are, of course, fully involved in the discussions and processes of their child moving to Adult services but we like to ensure that young people feel they are in control of their own transition journey so it is important that the information is within their pages of the website.

You can also read more about the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE) Guidance on the Transition from Children's to Adult Services.

Consent to treatment

If your child requires treatment, you will be asked to sign a consent form and we will talk you through the process so you understand what you are consenting to.  Generally, children under 16 are presumed to lack the full capacity or understanding to consent to treatment so the adult legally responsible for them will be asked to sign.  There will be times when a child under 16 is deemed intelligent and informed enough to consent to their own treatment but usually, we ask for consent from the parent or guardian.

People over 16 are entitled to consent to their own treatment but this can be overruled in certain cases.

Much more information about consent can be found on the NHS website.  These pages also contain leaflets and links to other sites which may be of interest.


Our clinical psychology team has produced a number of helpful guides to help families cope with COVID-19. This covers isolation and managing anxiety. Click here for more information.