What we do
The Yorkshire Centre for Paediatric and Adolescent Endocrinology Service is based at Leeds Children’s Hospital provides a comprehensive service for children and teenagers with disorders of the endocrine glands.
We provide a tertiary service to a regional population of 3.8 million including West, North and East Yorkshire with specialist outreach clinics in Bradford, Halifax, Huddersfield, Airedale, York and Northallerton.
All aspects of endocrine advice are provided including assessments and treatment of children with short stature, early & late puberty, disorders of endocrine glands (pituitary, adrenal, thyroid), Metabolic bone disease.
What we do
Referrals are taken directly from GPs and regional and national centres. Currently we are not on the choose and book pathways. Urgent referrals can often be seen within the same week.
- We have strong links with paediatric surgery, gynaecology, adult endocrinologist and genetics.
- Short stature - assessment and treatment
- Puberty - early puberty, late puberty, normal variations
- Thyroid - underactive or overactive
- Adrenal - adrenal hypoplasia, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, adrenal suppression following steroids use, Cushings syndrome.
- Genital abnormalities - indeterminate genitilia, micropenis
- Gender Identity Disorders
- Brain - pituitary tumours, malformations including septo-optic dysplasia
- Metabolic Bone Disease - disorders of Calcium and Vitamin D, bone density, recurrent fractures
- Obesity - assessment for secondary complications and genetic causes
- Endocrine Effects of Childhood Cancer
- Others: Turners Syndrome, MEN syndromes, excessive drinking
- Dynamic Endocrine Tests are done in Ward L49 - Children’s Day Care Unit (CDCU). Depending on the specific test this may be simply a single blood test or last for several hours.
When we do it
Day care investigations (Ward L49) + several other days of week
Specialist Weight Clinic
Endocrine Late Effects in childhood cancer
Endocrine Clinics (New and Follow up)
Bone Density reporting
Joint Transition Clinic (2 monthly)
Endocrine follow up clinic
- Bradford Clinic: weekly alternating Tuesday & Thursday,
- Halifax, Huddersfield, Airedale, Northallerton 1 - 2 monthly Tues / Thurs
- York - once a month.