What we do
Leeds Children’s Hospital is the home to a thriving and active paediatric neurosciences department with a national reputation.
The Children’s Neuroscience department provides a specialist (tertiary) service for the diagnosis and medical and surgical treatment of children with neurological disorders. We have active involvement with local, national and international research projects. We provide a specialist tertiary referral service, receiving referrals from the local area, as well as paediatric teams from North and West Yorkshire, and Hull and the East Riding of Yorkshire.
The team includes specialist nurses (for craniofacial surgery, intrathecal baclofen pump insertion, and hydrocephalus) and specialist therapists who are experts in neurorehabilitation.
Children are cared for in the specialist Neuroscience ward (L52) on D-floor Clarendon Wing, where children are cared for by specially trained nursing staff. There are close working relationships between paediatric neurology and paediatric neurosurgery, with shared care allowing us to maximise the quality and safety of our patient care. There are also close links with the hospital school.
The Children’s Neuroscience team includes specialists in neuro-rehabilitation and neuropsychology. They are supported by expert neuroradiology and neurophysiology. We have experts in interventional neuroradiology offering high-specialist treatment for stroke and other blood vessel problems such as aneurysm or AVM.
Multidisciplinary care provision is routine part of our service, with working closely with the other children’s specialists in the Children’s Hospital as well as other paediatricians based in hospitals and in our wider region.
Outpatient care is delivered through specialist and subspecialty multidisciplinary clinics in Leeds. We also provide outreach neurology clinics in all the hospitals in our region, together with some regional subspecialty clinics. Outreach paediatric neurosurgery clinics are also delivered in Hull and Middlesbrough.
In April 2019 the Leeds Children’s Hospital opened a new specialist intra-operative MRI theatre suite. This highly specialised addition to our services enables the paediatric neurosurgeons to improve outcomes and reduce the risks when operating on children with complex brain and spinal cord tumours. The intra-operative MRI is coupled with an advanced highly specialised intra-operative Buzz™ neuronavigation system from BrainLAB and robotic-assisted advanced digital Kinevo™ microscopes from Zeiss.
We know that there is lots of complicated terminology used and discussed within neurosciences. If you do have any questions, please contact us or speak with a member of our team. We are also developing a range of patient leaflet to explain conditions and treatment.
- General neurology and neurosurgery services (acute and elective)
- Epilepsy: investigation and management of complex epilepsy, ketogenic diet, inpatient video telemetry. Surgical treatment of epilepsy with vagal nerve stimulator insertion. Referrals for resection / disconnection surgery are made to NorCESS.
- Neuromuscular services: Diagnosis and management of children with Neuromuscular disease. Awarded “Centre of Excellence” status by DMD-UK in 2018 & 2019.
- Neuro-oncology brain tumour services: The full range of children’s brain tumour treatment is available in Leeds
- Spasticity and movement disorder management including: botulinum A therapy, intrathecal baclofen and Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR), alongside orthopaedic evaluation and surgery
- Complex neuro-rehabilitation
- Cerebrovascular Disorders (blood vessel disorders): including treatment for stroke, AVM, cavernoma, Moya Moya syndrome, vasculitis.
- Craniofacial surgery
- Surgery for Spinal Dysraphism
- Research and teaching