What We Do
Leeds Children's Hospital Neuroscience team provides a specialist (tertiary) service for the diagnosis and medical and surgical treatment of children with neurological disorders. We also have active involvement with local, national and international research projects.
Children and young people are cared for in our specialist Neuroscience ward, Ward L52 at our Leeds General Infirmary site (LGI). We also provide outpatient care in clinics at LGI.
Patients undergoing neurosurgery benefit from our model of 'shared care' in which our neurosurgeons and neurologists work closely together to maximise the quality and safety of patient care.
All our patients benefit from a multidisciplinary approach where we work closely with other specialists from across Leeds Children's Hospital and other specialist centers across the region.
In April 2019 the Leeds Children’s Hospital opened a new specialist intra-operative MRI theatre suite. This highly specialised addition to our services enables the paediatric neurosurgeons to improve outcomes and reduce the risks when operating on children with complex brain and spinal cord tumours.
- Complex epilepsy
- Ketogenic diet
- Epilepsy surgery
- Vagus Nerve Stimulator (VNS) therapy
- Congenital Myopathies
- Muscular Dystrophies
- Myasthenia Gravis and Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes
- Myotonia and Paramyotonias
Cerebral Palsy and spasticity management
- Botulinum service
- Intrathecal Baclofen service
- Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR)
Neuro Rehabilitation service
- Spinal cord injuries
- Acute traumatic and non-traumatic brain injury
- Tuberous Sclerosis
- Shunt insertion and revision
- Endoscopic third ventriculostomy
- Craniofacial surgery
- Central nervous system infections (meningitis / encephalitis)
- Brain and Spinal cord Tumours
- Movement disorders
- Headache and Migraine
- Neurovascular disorders
- Malformations of the central nervous system
- Neurodegenerative and Neurometabolic disorders
- Neuropsychiatric disorders
- Neurogenetic disorders including leucodystrophies (white matter disorders)
- Complex neurodevelopmental disorders (for diagnostic evaluation)
- Spina Bifida repair surgery
- Chiari Hindbrain Hernia surgery (Also known as Chiari Malformation)