Children's Play Service
Welcome to the Play Service
Here at Leeds Children’s Hospital the Play Service provides opportunities for children and young people to engage in meaningful play whilst they are in hospital.
“To be a play service that will provide therapeutic, specialised and developmental work, with areas of outstanding preparation and distraction play for all children and young people at Leeds Children’s Hospital. Taking into consideration their culture, gender and all round individual needs.”
Why Play in Hospital?
- Play is familiar and reassuring to children and young people, it can be used to help them understand what’s happening in an unfamiliar environment like hospital.
- Positive, trusting relationships can be developed through play which helps children and young people feel safe, supported and in control.
- Research has shown that play can help to reduce a child’s feelings of pain.
- Being able to play in hospital gives children and young people a sense of normality and makes their hospital experience a more positive one.
- Play can help to minimise trauma and speed up recovery times.
- The experience of working with the Play Team can help the whole family to feel supported.
As well as encouraging children and young people to access play equipment and providing play activities to support development, the Play Team also use playful methods for preparation, distraction and post-procedural play.
Preparation – can involve using photographs, videos, role play, medical equipment or books to help patients understand what a procedure involves, allowing them to ask questions and relieve anxieties.
Distraction – various techniques can be used to help take a patient’s attention away from treatments and procedures while they are happening
Post-procedural play – provides opportunity for patients to express what they feel a procedure or treatment was like using a variety of methods, which can help future coping strategies.
If you need to get in touch with the Play Service you can contact Lisa Beaumont (Therapeutic & Specialised Play Manager) by post, telephone or email.
E Floor Martin Wing
Leeds General Infirmary
Direct office number: 01133925297
Here at Leeds Children’s Hospital we are very proud to host our own LCHTV website www.lchtv.com where patients and parents can find lots of video resources designed to help with your hospital visit. Videos include a look around some of our wards as well as preparations for tests and procedures. Some of the films have been made by children, young people and their families.
Feel free to have a look before you come into hospital as it’s a great tool for preparation and a to meet some of our fantastic team!