Flagship healthcare for adults
Next generation healthcare for adults, built in.
One of the most exciting aspects of the new hospital building is the opportunity it gives us to build in better ways of providing healthcare.
Among its fantastic new facilities, the building will include:
- Expanded critical care services to support the delivery of very specialist treatments.
- Brand-new, state-of-the-art theatres as part of a dedicated suite for day case procedures.
- A high-tech radiology department that will serve other specialties in the hospital.
- One central department for all adult Outpatient services. This will be supported by the latest technologies and key services including pharmacy.
- A therapies hub.
- A new facility for endoscopy services.
We have an ambition to centralise maternity inpatient services at Leeds General Infirmary and add a new, midwifery-led unit, which is a facility we do not currently have in Leeds. This plan would bring all of our maternity services together, close to our children’s services.
A formal consultation on maternity and neonatal services in Leeds was held from January to April 2020, led by NHS Leeds CCG and NHE England and Improvement. The report will be available in summer 2020.
We also want to improve the layout of our Emergency departments, working with Leeds Clinical Commissioning Group to streamline how patients flow through them. An Urgent Treatment Centre would be located at both Leeds General Infirmary and St James’s University Hospital to give patients better access to emergency care services. These proposals are subject to engagement.