Clinics and Wards
Our dedicated Paediatric Neurosciences Ward in the Clarendon Wing. Ward L52 is a regional specialist unit, caring for children and young people requiring neurosurgical and neurological care and expertise. It is staffed by qualified Paediatric nurses, doctors, and support workers with years of experience and specialist knowledge. Other Paediatric healthcare professionals work within the multidisciplinary team on L52, and your child may be referred to, or visited by, these professionals during their stay with us.
Multidisciplinary care is provided for all children on the ward – delivered by the paediatric neurology, paediatric neurosurgery and paediatric neuro-rehabilitation consultants and specialist allied health professionals. Children having neurosurgery are cared for as joint patients with the paediatric neurosurgeon and paediatric neurologist, providing integrated shared care. Children also attend Neuro-rehabilitation sessions in the therapy room on ward L52 and/or in the hydrotherapy pool in the physiotherapy department.
Visiting times on L52: We understand that having your child admitted into hospital is an extremely stressful experience and can affect all aspects family life and its usual functions, and we hope that our visiting policy reflects this.
Parents/main carers are encouraged and welcome to be with their child 24/7. We have the facilities to accommodate one parent/carer sleeping on the ward, at the child’s bedside. Please discuss your needs with a member of our staff.
Children’s Outpatient Department, C floor, Martin Wing
Our outpatient clinics are undertaken in the dedicated Paediatric outpatients clinic.
Services provided for children with the following disorders:
- Complex Epilepsy
- Ketogenic diet
- Epilepsy Surgery
- Vagus Nerve Stimulator (VNS) Therapy
- Congenital Myopathies
- Muscular Dystrophies
- Myasthenia Gravis and Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes
- Myotonia and Paramyotonias
Cerebral Palsy and Spasticity management
- Botulinum clinic
- Intrathecal Baclofen service
- Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR) service – leedsneurosurgery.com/sdr– contains patient and referral information
Neuro Rehabilitation service
- Spinal cord injuries Acute Traumatic and non-Traumatic Brain Injury
- Tuberous Sclerosis Clinic
- Shunt insertion and revision
- Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy
- please read the patient information booklet for more information
- Craniofacial surgery
- Central nervous system infections (meningitis / encephalitis)
- Brain and Spinal cord Tumours
- Movement disorders
- Headache and Migraine
- Neurovascular disorders
- Malformations of the central nervous system
- Neurodegenerative and Neurometabolic disorders
- Neuropsychiatric disorders
- Neurogenetic disorders including leucodystrophies (white matter disorders)
- Complex neurodevelopmental disorders (for diagnostic evaluation)
- Spina Bifida repair surgery
- Chiari Hindbrain Hernia surgery (Also known as Chiari Malformation)