The Department of Hepatology provides a comprehensive service for patients with hepatitis B and hepatitis C. The service is multi-disciplinary and includes consultants in infectious diseases and sexual health as an integral part.
GPs are encouraged to refer all new patients with hepatitis B or C to this service through Choose and Book (Viral Hepatitis). There is appropriate expertise in this clinic for patients co-infected with either virus or other blood borne viruses such as HIV. Third sector and public health services can refer to this clinic directly using a proforma available on Leeds Health Pathways. We also provide an in-reach service to local prisons.
The medical clinic is held weekly on Thursday afternoons. It is a teaching and training clinic. Fibroscan technology is available in this clinic if needed.
- Dr Mark Aldersley (Service lead; Consultant Hepatologist)
- Dr Iain Brew (GP with Specialist Interest in Hepatitis C)
- Dr Penny Lewthwaite (Consultant Infectious Diseases)
- Dr Emma Page (Consultant Sexual Health)
- Dr Ramu Chimakurthi (Consultant Hepatologist)
Clinical Nurse Specialists
- Ms Suzanne Newton (Hepatitis C)
- Ms Kathryn Rothwell (Alcohol and Substance Misuse)
- Ms Samantha Sharman (Hepatitis C)
- Ms Sara Stevenson (Hepatitis B)
- Ms Tracey Stirrup (Hepatitis C)
- Ms Catherine Wigglesworth (Hepatitis C)
- Ms Sandeep Whitehead
- Ms Lynn Cavell (Secretary)
- Ms Catriona Brook (MDT co-ordinator)