Leeds Centre for Women's Health
Leeds Centre for Women's health
The gynaecology service at St James University Hospital provides care for women with a wide range of gynaecology issues. The Leeds Gynaecology department treats gynaecological conditions and disorders of the female genito-urinary tract:
- Benign gynaecological care, where we provide secondary care for women of Leeds for conditions affecting the female reproductive organs - the womb, ovaries, fallopian tubes, vagina and vulva, and tertiary care for complex conditions for women from across Yorkshire, including endometriosis, and adolescent gynaecology.
- Urogynaecology, where we treat women with a wide range of pelvic floor disorders
- Care for women with acute gynaecological problems, where women need to be seen very quickly
- Regional oncology unit treating gynaecological cancers for the women of the Yorkshire region.
We provide high quality care from highly skilled multi-disciplinary teams providing all aspects of complex treatments and surgical procedures, including minimally invasive techniques such as laparoscopic hysterectomy.
What we do
Acute Gynaecology service
Our acute gynaecology service is currently based in Gledhow Wing and sees women who need to be seen by our gynaecology service urgently (within 48 hours). It is composed of the Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit, the Gynaecology Assessment and Treatment Unit and the acute gynaecology clinic.
Our outpatient clinics are based at St James University Hospital although we also have clinics at Seacroft and Wharfdale hospitals.
These clinics provide both general and specialist services including:
- Colposcopy clinic
- Hysteroscopy clinic
- Fertility control clinic
- General gynaecology clinic
- Menopause clinic
- Minor procedures clinic
- Vaginal pessary clinic
- Recurrent miscarriage clinic
- Reproductive medicine (fertility) clinic
- Urodynamics clinic
- Urogynaecology clinic
- Vulval clinic
Day case surgery service
Our day case surgery service is based at St James University Hospital and at Wharfdale Hospital. It provides care for women undergoing minor surgery where an overnight stay in hospital is not routinely required.
Ward J98 is located on level 5 of Bexley Wing. It cares for women with gynaecological conditions who need overnight hospital admission. This includes women after routine benign or cancer gynaecology surgery and those who require prolonged emergency admission.