Yorkshire and North East Genomic Laboratory Hub, Central Lab
The Yorkshire and North East Genomic Laboratory Hub, Central Lab incorporates Molecular Genetics, Cytogenetics and a Molecular Oncology Diagnostic Facility. The laboratory is supported by the Translational Genomics Unit. The service is based at St James’s Hospital and is part of the Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
What We Do
The laboratory provides genetic analysis for inherited and acquired diseases for the population of Yorkshire. Services are also available nationally, as part of the UK Genetic Testing Network (UKGTN), and on an international basis.
The Laboratory is a UKAS accredited medical laboratory No. 8096.
This website is aimed primarily at health workers as an information resource.
Notice to users - Brexit COVID communication
Letter to users: Brexit COVID communication.
Notice to users - coronavirus disease COVID-19 (virus SARS-CoV-2) - impact on genomic/genetic services and sample acceptance
Our current service is significantly affected
- Sample acceptance
- We are unable to process samples from patients with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection; samples from such patients should only be taken and sent to the laboratory once their COVID-19 symptoms have resolved.
- Samples from patients with suspected SARS-CoV-2 infection will be held and only processed once there is confirmation of a negative coronavirus test result.
- Please ensure that any samples taken from patients with known SARS-CoV-2 infection or suspected COVID-19 symptoms are clearly labelled as such. Failure to do so may place our staff at risk.
- We regret that we are also unable to accept any buccal swab, oral or saliva samples of any kind currently. Any such samples received will be rejected by the laboratory.
- The following genomic/genetic services will be continue to be prioritised
- Tests for oncology patients
- Prenatal diagnostic tests
- Diagnostic and carrier tests which impact current pregnancies or treatment
- Urgent newborn diagnostic tests
- Newborn screening
See the current Service User Letter for further details: COVID-19 Business Continuity Plan
Supplementary advice for "Extremely Vulnerable" patients can be found on the Clinical Genetics site.
Other services may be delayed. Please contact us where there is particular clinical urgency.
0113 2065419 leedsth-tr.Cytogenetics@nhs.net
0113 2065205 email@example.com
Sample referral address
Yorkshire & North East Genomic Laboratory Hub, Central Lab
Genomic Specimen Reception (Histopathology Department)
Bexley Wing, Level 5
St James’s University Hospital,
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 5:00pm
For more information about our services covered under UKAS accreditation, please see E Schedule 8096
For more information about the scope of our work please visit the British Society for Genetic Medicine website.