The Paediatric Surgery and Urology service is both a secondary referral centre for children from Leeds, and a tertiary referral centre for children from Yorkshire. We cover all general conditions but are also a highly sub-specialised unit for a range of conditions.
What we do
Leeds Children’s hospital is one of the most sub-specialised units in the UK. Areas covered include:
- Thoracic surgery - covering chest surgery (including airway surgery, oesophageal surgery, lung surgery, chest wall deformity surgery, tracheo-oesophageal surgery)
- Abdominal surgery - including surgery for gastro-oesophageal reflux, inflammatory bowel disease, constipation, rectal prolapse surgery, as well as neonatal conditions such as diaphragmatic hernia repair, malrotation, intestinal atresia, Hirschsprung’s disease, anorectal malformations)
- Oncology - covering cancer surgery (including Wilm’s tumours, Neuroblastoma surgery, sacrococcygeal tumour surgery), lymphatic and arterio-venous malformations
- Hepatobiliary surgery - only one of three centres in the UK that performs biliary atresia surgery, choledochal cyst surgery, gallbladder surgery)
- Urology (covering minor procedures such as circumcisions to more complex including hypospadias surgery, vesicoureteric reflux, pelvic ureteric obstruction surgery, renal stone surgery, bladder reconstruction surgery, ambiguous genitalia surgery).
The Leeds Children’s Hospital has a very well developed minimally invasive set-up but also is a world leader in Paediatric Robotic surgery in Urological, General, Hepatobiliary and colorectal procedures.
Colonoscopies in the region are undertaken within Children’s surgery, although the work is split between Paediatric Gastroenterology and Paediatric Surgery and we are presently developing a new fast-track referral programme to improve the timing of colonoscopy for children