Symptom management and lifestyle advice
The Cancer of Unknown Primary (CUP) MDT aims to help and support all patients through and beyond treatment and to help manage any symptoms that cause problems. If symptoms require managing please contact the CUP nurse specialist team, GP or home nursing team. Symptoms that may occur include breathlessness, pain, weight loss, lack of appetite, fatigue, nausea, thirst, dizzyness, reduced mobility or confusion.
The CUP nurse specialist team can be contacted on 0113 2068881 or e-mail leedsth-tr.AcuteOncology@nhs.net
Some lifestyle tips:
- make small adjustments to your everyday activities to make things easier where you can.
- take light, regular exercise to keep your energy levels up.
- give priority to the most important things you want to do first.
- consider physiotherapy to help you learn and practise helpful breathing exercises.
- pace yourself so you get enough rest.
- consider learning a relaxation technique, such as meditation, to help you manage your anxieties and help keep you in a positive frame of mind.
- develop a support network of friends and fellow patients with whom you can share and discuss your experiences. This can help to discuss your concerns and offer you reassurance in difficult times.