The Thinking Ahead Programme
The Thinking Ahead Programme is a virtual 7 week course, delivered by professionals from Harrogate and Calderdale & Huddersfield Hospital Trusts. The course is an opportunity to share experiences and information with other cancer patients in a virtual group setting.
Who can access the Thinking Ahead Course?
If you are a cancer patient with a Leeds GP your clinical nurse specialist can refer you to this course.
If you live in the Harrogate or Calderdale and Huddersfield areas, please see the appropriate contact details at the bottom of this page.
The Thinking Ahead Course aims to:
- Help keep patients as well as possible for as long as possible
- Encourage living life to the full in a supported, self-managed way
- Offer support to family members
- Give advice on local services and how to access them when needed
- Allow an opportunity to consider future planning when time may limited
- Give an opportunity to meet key people who may be able to help in the future
- Offer time for questions and concerns
What will the 7 week course include?
Each virtual session of the 7 week course lasts about an hour and a half; providing valuable information and discussion time. The sessions will cover a wide variety of information and resources including:
- Managing uncertainty
- Financial matters and estates planning
- Diet and physical activity
- Faith and spirituality
- Advance care planning, decision-making and care
- Support services such as local hospices
- Managing symptoms such as fatigue
How do I find out more?
For more information about the Thinking Ahead course either contact your Hospital Clinical Team or the appropriate contact details below:
Leeds GP Patients:
Please contact your Clinical Nurse Specialist or Leeds Cancer Support
Please contact the Palliative & End of Life Administration Team:
Tel: 01423 553464
Calderdale & Huddersfield Patients:
Please contact the Macmillan Information Service:
Tel: 01484 343614 / 01422 222709
I do not live in any of these areas. What can I do?
If you do not live in the above mentioned areas, or have a Leeds GP please speak with your own Hospital Clinical Team or local Cancer Support service to find out what support is available in your area.