The Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust

Urgent Treatment Centres

An urgent treatment centre is for anyone who needs to see a doctor or nurse urgently but is not in a life-threatening condition and is open everyday from 8am - 11pm (including bank holidays including Christmas Day).

Please note we do not treat people aged under two years old or those aged over 65 who have a head injury. In addition we do not treat people with pregnancy related health conditions.


Wharfedale Urgent Treatment Centre,
Wharfedale Hospital,
Newall Carr Road,
LS21 2LY

What is an urgent treatment centre?

An urgent treatment centre is an alternative to A&E, treating both children and adults (except those under the age of two or those over the age of 65 who have a head injury or anyone with a pregnancy related health condition). The centre provides treatment for minor injuries and illnesses that are urgent but not life or limb threatening. If you need medical help but you know it’s not an emergency then the urgent treatment centre might be the best place for you.

For example:

  • Cuts and grazes
  • Sprains and strains
  • Simple broken bones (if your bone is sticking out or there’s a serious wound then this should be seen at A&E)
  • Wound and wound infections
  • Minor burns and scalds
  • Minor head injuries
  • Insect and animal bites
  • Minor eye injuries
  • Minor back injuries
  • Emergency contraception
  • Skin infections/rashes/allergic reactions
  • Urine infections
  • Raised temperature/fever

What else is available at an urgent treatment centre?

  • X-ray facilities are available on site every day until 8.30pm
  • Urine tests (if appropriate)
  • Minor illness service (for example sore throat or coughs and colds) runs from 8am-6pm, seven days a week. Prescriptions and medication are also issued through this service for some conditions.

Talk before you walk – contact NHS 111

We always recommend you contacting NHS 111. Where appropriate, a fully trained advisor will assess your symptoms, decide what medical help you need and advise where you need to go.

NHS 111 advisors can also arrange an appointment for you at an urgent treatment centre, or an out of hours GP if your condition means you need to see a health care professional within the next 12 hours.

What if I have difficulties communicating or hearing?

If you have difficulties communicating or hearing, you can call 18001 111 on a textphone. Or you can use the NHS 111 British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter service if you’re deaf and want to use the phone service.

Like any healthcare service, however, you may experience a delay as our healthcare staff may need to spend longer with someone who needs their care.

This service is run by Local Care Direct.